Wednesday 25 September 2013

Riverside Museum and the Tall Ship

Saturday flatmate Taylor and I went to see what the Riverside Museum was all about. It was named European Museum of the year 2013, something the museum is quite proud of.
The fancy building above houses the Riverside Museum, Glasgow's transport museum. It contains lots of trains, trams, cars, bikes, boats and other stuff that has to do with transport. I wasn't sure if I was allowed to take pictures inside, so I didn't. Except from when I came across a display case with old toys like My Little Pony, Barbie and Star Wars figurines in it, I just had to take a picture.
The museum was a bit unorganized. Taylor and I lost each other somewhere along the way because there is just a big open space and you kind of pick your own route through the trams and trains and cars.

The thing I liked the most was the Main Street. I stole a picture from artfund:

They had set up a fictional street from 100+ years ago, where you could look at the cars and carriages on the street, and go into all the shops. There was the pawn broker, the saddle maker, the photography shop, a pub and a resturant. And a tailor, but that one was only open if you made an appointment, the sign in the window said. There was even a subway station you could go into.


When done with the Museum we went out the back to have a look at the Tall Ship.

"Of the many hundreds of ships built in Glasgow’s shipyards, the Glenlee is one of only five Clyde built ships still afloat in the world today and she is the only one of her kind in the UK." Says the webpage.



The kids scrubbing the deck

The cargo hold
Ships are always fun, and it was cool that you could go below deck, all the way down to the cargo hold. The activities on the ship were mainly aimed towards children, but it was much to look at for us older ones too. It was a day well spent.

And I love museum's gift shops, and the Riverside Museum had quite a cool one. Taylor and I spent some time there before wrapping up and heading home.

No comments:

Post a Comment